Since its inception in 1991, the CAUSE Leadership Academy (formerly called CASIC, California Asian American Student Internship Coalition) has prepared elite student leaders to be in the forefront of California’s legislative arena. This program is especially dedicated to developing the leadership skills of college students who are interested in exploring a career in public office, public service or community advocacy.
Previous students have been selected from Ivy League schools, the University of California system, community colleges and local high schools. Graduates of the program have gone on to run for elected office, work as legislative staff or work in the nonprofit sector. Students with an interest in Asian Pacific American (APA) affairs, leadership development, community service or politics are encouraged to apply.
This eight-week leadership academy will develop:
- Political awareness and civic engagement
- Understanding of the legislative process
- Insight on issues related to the APA community
- Professional and leadership qualities
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Interview and social etiquette
- Organizational and cooperative working skills
As part of this intensive eight-week leadership academy, CAUSE interns will:
- Receive internship placement in the offices of elected officials.
- This opportunity affords interns a unique hands-on experience in the legislative process, policy knowledge and constituent outreach.
- Gain access to and insight from civic leaders through leadership workshops and seminars.
- Interns receive leadership training from elected officials and community leaders; meet and learn from assemblymembers and state senators in Sacramento, and get a firsthand, inside perspective of how the government functions.
- Participate in local APA community events.
- Interns act as liaisons between community and government, and gain a deeper understanding of the issues that affect their communities and the APA community.
For more information and link to application: http://causeusa.org/index.php/programs/cause-internship/about
CAUSE is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, nonpartisan community-based organization with a mission to advance the political empowerment of the Asian Pacific Islander American community through voter registration and education, community outreach and leadership development.