Asian Americans Most Responsive To Social Media Ads


A new study from Nielsen reveals that the influence of ads on social media sites, varies greatly between ethnicities, and it turns out Asian Americans are most likely to respond to ads they see on sites like Facebook.

Nielsen rated each ethnicity (Hispanic, White, African American, Asian American) and the actions they took after seeing a social ad (Shared Ads, Liked Ads, Purchased Products). In every case, Asian Americans took more action in response to social ads than any other ethnicity. In the case of sharing ads 26%, versus 15% for the total group, 41% liking ads versus 26% for the total group, and 31% purchasing products versus 14% for the total group.

Hispanics ranked second for being influenced by social media ads, followed by African Americans, and Whites were least influenced. It’s possible ethnic groups are more responsive, since social media ads tend to be targeted to specific categories and groups, and even ethnicities.

As an Asian American I can’t say that social media ads have worked on me, as I certainly haven’t taken action to either like, share or purchase something from a social media ad. But I have gone to the extreme of hiding some ads that show up on the right hand side of my Facebook page when I find them inappropriate or not suited for the work place. So if you’re Asian American, do you find that social media advertising works on you?

Infographic credit: Nielsen

Thanks for rating this! Now tell the world how you feel - .
How does this post make you feel?
  • Excited
  • Fascinated
  • Amused
  • Disgusted
  • Sad
  • Angry

About Tim

I'm a Chinese/Taiwanese-American, born in Taiwan, raised on Long Island, went to college in Philadelphia, tried Wall Street and then moved to the California Bay Area to work in high tech in 1990. I'm a recent dad and husband. Other adjectives that describe me include: son, brother, geek, DIYer, manager, teacher, tinkerer, amateur horologist, gay, and occasional couch potato. I write for about 5 different blogs including 8Asians. When not doing anything else, I like to challenge people's preconceived notions of who I should be.
This entry was posted in Business, Current Events, Lifestyles. Bookmark the permalink.